Chesterfield Cycle Campaign promotes cycle use in Chesterfield for both leisure and utility journeys.
By campaigning for a comprehensive network, we aim to improve conditions for cyclists so that cycling becomes a safer and more attractive option than car travel for local journeys.
The latest version of the Derbyshire Cycle Map published by Derbyshire County Council is available online and shortly a print version will be released. We’ve been promised a box full so they will be available from the monthly Dr Bike workshop.
The online consultation started today (8th March) for the proposed route from Holymoor Road to the Royal Hospital. Lasting just over two weeks it is really important to make your views known. Our Campaign supports the proposals with one or two minor tweaks and hopefully you will too!
It is important to comment on each portion of the route.
The consultation on the masterplan is now live and you are urged to give your views!
- Approaching from the south cyclists will have to cross 4 vehicle entry/exits to get to the station
- The advisory cycle lane coming into the station from Brimington Road will disappear with no alternative provided initially
- A shared path provided on the south side of Malkin St which should be segregated.
- This shared path ends at the Brimington Road roundabout putting cyclists back on the road in a dangerous position.
- No thought of connections towards the Trans Pennine Trail, College or Stonegravels Way
You can view the proposals in a virtual consultation room which can be visited here https://chesterfieldstation.consultation.ai/ and fill in the response survey here https://aecom.researchfeedback.net/ChesterfieldRailwayStation
Many of our members will have cycled along this trail between Woodthorpe and Creswell. We’ve just been sent the cycle counter stats for 5 months from 1st Sep to Feb 2021. Fantastic usage being recorded, its really important that Derbyshire County Council know that there is support for creating new trails, you can let them know your support by contacting the officer here.
There is a Facebook page for the greenway here
- Our secretary is meeting representatives from Local Transport Projects who are designing the East-West cycle route funded by the Emergency Active Travel Fund.
- Plans for a Toucan crossing on Park road to connect the cycle path on either side together.
- Plans for a ‘school street’ trial in Chesterfield shortly.
- We’re donating a ‘Sheffield’ stand to the Friends of Spital Cemetery which arrived today and another public bike pump for Pleasley Pit Museum arrives next week.
More details of all these in our next email update at the end of the month!